Thursday, July 25, 2002

Today I went and interviewed the lord mayor of Belfast about crime in the city and what he thinks of it, the causes, the effects, the ways to overcome it, the difficulties etc. It would've been just a reasonably boring interview if I'd've done it anywhere else.


But the lord mayor is a guy called Alex Maskey, seen above, a Sinn Fein member (nationalist, for those who don't know) and a former Long Kesh prisoner who is alleged to have been an active member of the IRA and to have killed or intended to kill several people. Various attempts have been made on his life since his turn to politics. So it was interesting. I'm not saying anything about it all now, but when the resulting articles get published I'll provide links.

Jonathan SMSed me late last night (presumably before travelling over to NC, USA for a while) with the message: "Is there anything you'd like me to tell the american people?". Him being a pretty anti-american american himself. I thought of several things on the spot but I was too tired and keyed-up about today's interview to reply. And now I can't remember them.

Now there's the interesting link of the day, and several reasons why you shouldn't necessarily expect anything too brill from London Underground: (someone made funny stickers, btw)



That's it for now. Sorry.

No comments: