Sunday, July 07, 2002

I woke up this morning about half ten, surrounded by blue. I walked to the window and looked out, and the blue lightened, to be replaced by the grey of the skies and little pellets of rain on the skylight. So I retreated into my cosy blue world for a further hour, and then wandered around the house (my bro's place) half-naked, and watched the cats sleeping on the stairs. Then got dressed and went out. It seemed the thing to do. I was hungry, the cloud had lifted, Bath beckoned.

And when I got into the centre, I realised 2 things. One, Bath is really nice on a sunday if you don't expect anything of it and just let yourself drift with no needs. Two, wearing contact lenses is a good thing in the height of summer, even if you have hayfever, because they allow you to see all the nice things and people around you with greater clarity. And not wearing glasses makes a quite substantial proportion of people glance at you. If you're lucky, they even follow you around book and record stores. If you're really lucky, you get invited to lunch by interesting guys who look nice and talk nicer. I was really lucky. And no, I didn't take his number in my hand nor his tongue in my mouth. My mind is taken up by another person. But my skin is completely smitten with the sun in sunday afternoons.

No comments: