Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Banned Words
Lake Superior State U has released its list of banned words for 2004. I'll mention a few here. Bling bling: not exactly my first choice. I rather like it. But it has become a bit of a mawkish, embarrassing phrase, to be used with a sense of irony and a self-deprecatingly lifted eyebrow. LOL: I agree. I'll mention no names here, because I really rather like the online people I talk to. But the number of times I've had conversations which are entirely "LOL" from their direction... (sigh) Embedded journalist: sounds painful. If a journalist loses that much objectivity, they probably deserve to be embedded in something. Shots rang out: hmm. I don't see why it should be banned, but yeah, alright. Shots don't 'ring out'. Bells do. Shots don't. They crack or they hiss.

No comments: