Thursday, June 03, 2004

Free, web–based email wars

First there was Hotmail (Microsoft doesn’t get a link from me. Ever. They screw with my Opera) and then there were offshoots. Then there was the furore over Google’s GMail: it would offer you a massive amount of storage space but bots would search the content of your emails for targeted ad purposes.

Then there was… Aventure Mail. It’s web-based free email, with a large amount of storage space for free, and it’s down. Already. It seems to have recently sprung up, it’s been MetaFiltered and Slashdotted (which is a pretty good server–load simulation for anyone who would provide free email to the web), and it’s fallen at the first hurdle.

A quick look at the whois info informs me that the admin lives about 10 minutes’ drive away from my house. Maybe I should go over and knock on the door – only to find that the door maybe doesn’t exist in the first place.

Heh. Kidding. But seriously, since ‘The Troubles’ ended, entrepreneurship has been popular here. Popular, rushed, and ill–regulated, with consequent amateurishness. You see that here. Belfast person decides to start free, large–storage web–based email service: is taken by surprise by traffic issues. *sigh*

I don’t care though (Pete said, in an ironically geeky way) because I have my lovely first–preference gmail.com email address and nobody else in the entire world can get one right now and yadda yadda. *grin*

No comments: