Monday, May 17, 2004

How maps inscribe me


If you don't know what the above image is founded upon, it's London's Tube Map. The link takes you to a well-researched and informative post which points you to loads of different treatments of the famous diagram. (Is it a map? or a diagram? Nobody seems to be sure.) There are 3D maps, maps which show tubes and trains, the realworld layout of the lines, - practically unrecognisable - other things in underground London, funny maps, rude maps, historical maps... but nearly all of the Tube, and a wonderful compendium.

While browsing, looking at the station names sent me on a 45-minute trip down memory lane and I got sort of emotional, so I went out for a walk around this bit of Belfast to centre myself. But not before using one of the sites to make the picture above: every little marker shows a station I actually entered or left, rather than just travelling through. Looking at it, I'm surprised at how many stations that amounts to. And not surprised in the least at how wistful I feel after remembering it all.

No comments: