Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Firemen! Oooooh!

FDNY: Firefighter Billy Biel, photo copyright Alan Batt

OK, turning the campness firmly off, I just took a look around cyberspace and found something which both amuses me and irritates me, at the same time. FDNY, New York City’s Fire Department, has just published its calendar for 2005. This is a somewhat mixed thing for me, as I don't go for a lot of the ‘types’ seen therein. However there are a few nice ones, like this enchanting young man. But they’ve gone and called the damn thing Calendar of Heroes. Why, oh why? Heroes? Nope. Firefighters who risk their lives every day as part of their job and are therefore not particularly exceptional when considered alongside any other firefighter? Yes.

Let’s just hve an end to this “Oh, 9/11, they’re so brilliant, oh, oh” thing already.

Although, heh, some of them are undoubtedly damn fine. :o)

No comments: