Friday, April 23, 2004

The next station
While looking at Anonymous Juice just now, I read a short entry about a recording of a woman's voice on the Northern Line of the London Underground. It's always the same woman and this weblog describes her voice perfectly. During the first winter I spent in London, her assertions that "The next station is London Bridge" or "This station is Highgate" were almost a commentary beside my life, with the purposeful nature of London Bridge and the settled, almost bourgeois Highgate.

I'd only add that after I moved and started using the Piccadilly Line more, the different voice there seemed both patronising, and something to patronise. The former because it was more emphatic (otherwise the tourists wouldn't have understood that "This is Piccadilly Circus") and the latter because I was used to passing through famous places and hearing that "The next station is Leicester Square".

No comments: