Monday, March 01, 2004

Thoughts, beliefs
It's Monday morning and I'm sitting here beside the window, looking at the last of the melting snow strewn over the roof and garden. Although this entry isn't about jobs or work, I don't have a job right now and ordinarily this would make me feel really bad. Especially on a Monday morning. But, philosophically speaking, should I feel bad about not going into a building and sitting at a desk therein for a certain amount of hours each day?

I don't think so. And in fact, even though I'm not working, I am still just as mentally active - if not, sometimes, more so - than those who are fortunate enough to have jobs. I'm a writer, you see. To look at it reductively, it's one way of 'coping' with 'the world'. And since thoughts like this have been floating around my head for a while, it's nice to see a great opinion piece about similar issues.

From Joho the Blog comes a heartfelt paean of praise for love and denigration for those who would deny it. Why would anyone deny love? (Shhh. Don't tell anyone. But it's the gay kind.)

Oh, and thumbs up to the 400 people who raved in an office building in London over the weekend. It's good that someone reclaims those stuffy monoliths for some snatched humanity-time. (They didn't break anything either.)

Oh, and the Oscars. I can't be bothered. 11 of the damn things for Return of the King. Not that it's not good, but come *on*. The list is here.

No comments: