Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Peripatetic
Every time I look through the referrer logs, I'm struck by just how many people are drawn to this site because they've done a google search for a misspelled word. They haven't wanted to end up here; rather, they've been looking for the word 'peripatetic' which is actually a 'real' word, rather than peripathetic, which I made up myself.

Peripatetic: ever-moving. Continually shifting around. Often used in context: for example, a peripatetic teacher is essentially freelance, part of a teaching pool, and moves from school to school when required.

For me, the meaning of peripatetic is associated with the actions of the flâneur, a character who wanders around looking at everything, observing, commenting but ultimately not sacrificing his objectivity, his unique view. Staying quiet: being at once inside and outside the experience itself.

It seemed fitting, in choosing the title of a blog, after all, that my wandering mind should create a blog based on wandering around and looking. It's an interesting word. I like it. But it was too much its own word, too tied-down. I decided to modify it. I feel down at times, but I'm still moving. And this blog is my first ever experience with html, and my efforts are pathetic in comparison to those of others.

Hence peripathetic, this blog.

To all those google searchers out there, it's a made-up word! You're misspelling what you're actually looking for, and getting a whole list of sites which perpetuate this misspelling!

Although, thanks for the traffic. ;o) :oD

No comments: