Sunday, September 12, 2004

Sunday morning miscellany

Berlin wall with my graffiti - LetterJames.de

Trundling gently along to Ubiquity this morning, I was astonished to see a photo of the Berlin Wall with Janathan’s name on it. And then I thought, wow, someone’s noticed that and sent it to him. It was, of course, a glorius sham so I went along to LetterJames and made my own, which you can see above. Tried a haiku on the sand, but I can’t connect as I haven’t got enough sleep out of my system yet.

Yesterday having been the third anniversary of the terrorist attacks on New York, Washington and Shanksville, there are plenty of sites offering retrospectives, and just as many commemorating the disaster by connecting it to continuing disaster in Iraq.

MetaFilter has a thread linking to its original discussion of the subject. Gothamist gives an outline of the commemorative events due to take place in the Big Apple, and looks to the future in a post about continuing to live. On the same post, there’s an exciting photo of how the finished redevelopment of Lower Manhattan will appear. No sour grapes here, but I do wish that corporate architecture didn’t get the majority of the masonry money these days. We build beautiful, massive temples to a dastardly and sometimes debilitating work ethic, and that is definitely a paradox. One which could easily be avoided by honouring our houses more, as was done with Fallingwater:

Looking down Bear Run from Fallingwater: photo copyright casas.com

No comments: