Sunday, December 28, 2003

Complications
What was meant to happen was that today, sometime before I woke up, dad would get into the car, drive onto a ferry, travel from Northern Ireland to England and damn well stay there for nearly 2 weeks, giving me the chance to kick back, glory in having the place to myself, and be responsible for as close to fuck-all as possible.

What actually happened was that earlier tonight, when dad was packing to leave, we noticed this patch of damp on the wall in one of the bedrooms. Then Mark came over, and since he knows about stuff like that, we looked in the roofspace, and in other rooms, and found that a water tank is spilling water through the ceilings of 2 rooms. The water has even (just) made it down through to the kitchen on the ground floor. So we rigged up a system to stop the tank from filling up beyond the hole in it.

So what will actually happen is that tomorrow, when I get up, dad will have left, and I'll have to make desperate phonecalls to a plumber (who probably has a full diary), and then I'll find that it'll be new year at least before I can get it sorted. In the meantime, either: 1. ceilings will fall in - or: 2. The water tank will dry out and there'll be no water in the radiators and therefore no heating - or: 3. Some sort of combination of 1 & 2.

No comments: