Thursday, March 06, 2003

My degree has condemned me to low earnings
According to a study published in Labour Market Trends, 'a degree in an arts subject reduces average earnings to below those of someone who leaves school with just A-levels' - BBC story. (For those outside the UK, A Levels are your final exams in a school which ultimately qualify you for University entrance.)

I graduated in 2000 with a First Class MA (Hons) in English Literature. Since then, I've been in and out of unemployment, certainly earning far less than many of my peers who graduated in vocational subjects.

I could earn a salary of £17,000 immediately by riding around Belfast on a motorised buggy which sucks litter off the pavements. But finally get any permanent salaried job, in Northern Ireland, which would be a direct progression from my degree and training, I'll earn £10,000 to £11,000 tops.

No comments: